NGINX, HTTPS, Let's Encrypt, and Django

My agilitycourses.com website is served by nginx proxying to gunicorn running my Django application. I'll be adding user accounts soon so I wanted to convert the site to be more secure by using HTTPS encryption. Also Google has announced it will likely prefer sites using HTTPS.

The site is …

NGINX CGI Parameter Gotcha

When I first started the agilitynerd blog in 2004 I had my Blosxom blogging CGI script running via Apache. Later on I moved all my sites to nginx or took advantage of nginx's caching features to have it act as a proxy in front of Apache. I finally decided to …

ReactJS SVG Path Player Component

I've been a big fan of SVG images for many years for their light weight and resolution independence. I started playing with them back when most browsers needed a plugin to render them; which kept me from using them in web sites. Within the past few years SVG has become …

Tagged as: reactjs javascript SVG

Upgrading Pelican and Migrating to GitHub Pages

I've been using Pelican for this blog for almost three years with source and output stored in a GitHub repository. The output files were then checked out and hosted as static content behind an NGINX web server on my VPS. Since I set that up GitHub introduced GitHub Pages with …

Tagged as: pelican github python

Django Migrating Models from an Abstract Base Class to a Concrete Base Class

On my agilitycourses.com I had been modeling three types of dog agility courses using an abstract base class Course with three child classes: Box, StarBox, and DoubleBox. This created three tables in the database prepended with the Django application name box: box_box, box_starbox, and box_doublebox. I needed to add …

Django REST Registration with django-rest-auth and django-allauth

I'm creating a mobile app for my agilitycourses website and I'm using django-rest-framework to provide a REST API for use by the client application. In order to provide authentication and registration I'm using django-allauth. Lastly I use django-rest-auth to provide REST resources for authentication and registration.

I implemented and tested …

Integrated Coverage Analysis with Coveralls

When I converted django-periodicals to use cookiecutter-djangopackage I was running coverage.py in my Travis-CI .travis.yml to report the coverage results to the command line log. The coverage results were interesting but didn't really alter my development practice much.

Over the years I've had differing options about coverage testing …

cookiecutter-djangopackage - Do the Right Thing

In preparation for upgrading and enhancing Googility.com I've started breaking out reusable applications, upgrading them, and open sourcing the code on GitHub. I wanted to follow development best practices and create high quality applications including these features:

  • A full set of tests.
  • Near 100% code coverage.
  • Continuous Integration running …

Moved To Pelican

Way back in 2004, when the content in this blog was a category in the main AglityNerd blog, I used the Perl Blosxom application to serve the blog. When my dog agility readers complained/were confused by the sprinkling of tech postings I split off tech.agilitynerd in another Blosxom …

Google Analytics for JQuery Mobile With Internal and AJAX Pages

I added google analytics to my agilitycourses.com website and was having problems getting the mobile version of the site to log analytics data after the first page. Google found this very helpful blog post: Using Google Analytics with jQuery Mobile and it got me very close to my final …